ARC ANGEL INDUSTRIES
This document presents important safety warnings, instructions, and information intended to minimize hazards associated with the use of Arc Angel Industries, Inc. (ARC ANGEL®) family of Stun Devices, The Arc Angel Stun Cane™, Big Stick™, Stun Katana™, The Pet Defender™, Honey Bee™, Critter Stick™, and Little Stick™, as well as our Tactical Line, the TSD-100 Stun Baton™, the TSD-200 ARC LIGHT™ Flashlight™, and TSD-300 Electronic Bayonet™. These instructions and warnings are for your protection as well as the safety of others. Read the entire document before using an Arc Angel stun device.
The stun function of the Arc Angel stun device is to be used only for lawful self-defense or in defense of others. The stun function of the stun device is not designed to cause harm. The stun function is designed to exercise control and arrest behavior that might otherwise endanger the safety of a law enforcement officer or the general public. An Arc Angel stun device is not a substitute for caution, common sense, or other preventive self-protection actions such as ensuring doors are locked, parking in well-lighted areas, avoiding suspicious individuals, or calling 911. Law enforcement officers are to be guided by local, institutional standards of engagement and rules governing deployment of force and public welfare.
When used as directed, stun devices are designed to provide a force option that may temporarily repel a person while reducing the likelihood of death or serious injury. Any use of force, including the use of a stun device, can cause physical pain or exertion and involves risks that a person may get hurt or die. Following the instructions and warnings in this document will reduce the likelihood that stun device use will cause death or serious injury. These warnings and instructions are effective January 2, 2014, and supersede all prior revisions. The most current warnings are also available online at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Read and obey
Significant differences exist between Arc Angel products, e.g., placement and use of arming switch and trigger, therefore the user must read the information sheet specific to the device before attempting to use the device. Do not use or attempt to use any Arc Angel product unless you have read, understood, and are following all current instructions, warnings, and relevant ARC ANGEL training materials before using the product. Failure to do so could increase the risk of death or serious injury to the user or others.
Obey applicable laws. Use of stun devices must be legally justified and comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. When used by law enforcement officer or military personnel operators must follow institutional guidelines published by the law enforcement agency of record.
Always follow all current instructions, warnings, and Arc Angel training materials to minimize risks.
SAFETY INFORMATION: RISKS AND RISK AVOIDANCE
Cumulative Effects. Stun device exposure causes certain effects, including physiologic and metabolic changes, stress, and pain. In some individuals, the risk of death or serious injury may increase with cumulative exposures. Repeated, prolonged, or continuous stun device applications may contribute to cumulative exhaustion, stress, cardiac, physiologic, metabolic, respiratory, and associated medical risks which could increase the risk of death or serious injury. Minimize repeated, continuous, or simultaneous exposures.
Physiologic and Metabolic Effects
Stun device exposure can cause physiologic and/or metabolic effects that may increase the risk of death or serious injury. These effects may include changes in blood chemistry, blood pressure, respiration, heart rate and rhythm, and adrenaline and stress hormones, among others. Some individuals may be particularly susceptible to the effects of stun device use. These susceptible individuals may include the elderly, those with heart conditions, asthma or other pulmonary conditions, and people suffering from excited delirium, profound agitation, severe exhaustion, drug intoxication or chronic drug abuse, and/or over-exertion from physical struggle. In a physiologically or metabolically compromised person, any physiologic or metabolic change may cause or contribute to sudden death.
Stress and Pain
Stun device use, anticipation of use, or response to use can cause startle, panic, fear, anger, rage, temporary discomfort, pain, or stress which may be injurious or fatal to some people.
To reduce the risks from stun device use and exposure:
- Minimize the number and duration of exposures. Use the shortest duration of stun device exposure, reasonable for self-defense. If a deployment is ineffective in deterring or stopping an attacker or achieving compliance consider escaping from the situation or consider alternative force options.
- Avoid simultaneous exposures. Do not use multiple stun devices at the same time without justification. Multiple stun devices used at the same time could have cumulative effects and result in increased risks.
Stun device exposure in the chest area near the heart has a low probability of inducing extra heart beats (cardiac capture). In rare circumstances, cardiac capture could lead to cardiac arrest. When possible, avoid targeting the frontal chest area near the heart to reduce the risk of potential serious injury or death. Cardiac capture may be more likely in children and thin adults because the heart is usually closer to the stun device-delivered discharge. Serious complications could also arise in those with impaired heart function or in those with an implanted cardiac pacemaker or defibrillator.
To reduce the risk of injury:
- Use preferred target areas. The preferred target areas are below the neck area for back shots and the lower center mass (below chest) for front contacts. The preferred target areas enhance stun effectiveness and
reduce cardiac risks. Back contacts are preferable to front contacts when practicable.
- Avoid sensitive areas. When practicable, avoid intentionally targeting the stun device on sensitive areas of the body such as the face, eyes, head, throat, chest area (area of the heart), breast, groin, genitals, or known pre- existing injury areas.
- Higher Risk Populations. Stun device use on a pregnant, infirm, elderly, or low body-mass index person or on a small child could increase the risk of death or serious injury. As with any force option, stun device use has not been scientifically tested on these populations. Use a stun device on such persons only if the situation
justifies an increased risk.
- Secondary Injury. The loss of control resulting from a stun device exposure may result in
injuries due to a fall or other uncontrolled movement. When possible, avoid using a stun
device when secondary injuries are likely.
- Loss of control associated with stun device use can have several causes:
Seizure. Repetitive stimuli (e.g., flashing light or electrical stimuli) can induce seizure in some people, which may result in death or serious injury. This risk may be increased in a person with epilepsy, a seizure history, or if electrical stimuli pass through the head.
Emotional stress and physical exertion, both likely in incidents involving stun devices and other uses of force, are reported as seizure-precipitating factors.·
Fainting. A person may experience an exaggerated response to a stun device exposure, or threatened exposure, which may result in fainting or falling. Pain or startle response. Stun device use may cause loss of control from pain or startle response.
To reduce these risks, consider the person’s location before using a stun device.
SAFETY INFORMATION: INJURY OR INFECTION
A stun device may cause injury as a result of the electrical discharge. The nature and severity of these effects depends on numerous factors including the area of exposure, individual susceptibility, and other circumstances surrounding its use, exposure, and after care. Medical care may be required.
Eye Injury Hazard. A stun device electrode or electrical discharge that contacts or comes close to an eye can result in serious injury, including permanent vision loss.
DO NOT intentionally use a stun device on or near the eye of a person or animal without justification.
Electrode Injury, Scarring, or Infection Hazard. Stun device use may cause a permanent
mark, burn, scar, or other skin or tissue damage. Infection could result in death or serious injury.
To reduce the risk of serious or permanent injury:
- Medical care may be needed. Stun device use may cause skin irritation, abrasion, mark, rash, burn, or other scar or infection, which may require medical care and may be permanent. As with any injury of this type, infection and resulting complications may occur.
- Biohazards. Use appropriate biohazard protocols and protective equipment (e.g., gloves, masks, and washing of hands and exposed areas as necessary).
SAFETY INFORMATION: DEPLOYMENT AND USE
The stun function of an ARC ANGEL tactical stun device is a weapon and as with any weapon the user should follow safe weapon-handling practices including the secure storage of the device.
- Use properly. Use a stun device only for its intended purpose, in legally justifiable situations for lawful self-defense or in the defense of others. Do not use for torture. Misuse can result in criminal prosecution or civil litigation.
- Store in a secure location. Store the ARC ANGEL tactical stun device in secure locations inaccessible to children and other unauthorized persons to prevent inappropriate access or use.
- Use of Activation Button. Always place the activation button in the OFF position when the device is not in use. Remember to place activation button in the ON position when you intend to use the stun function.
The ARC ANGEL tactical stun devices are weapons, not toys, and should be handled responsibly at all times.
SAFETY INFORMATION: EFFECTIVENESS
A stun device, like any force option, does not always function as intended and is not effective on every person. As with any use of force, if a particular option is not effective, consider using other force options or escaping from the situation. Always have a back-up plan.
A stun device’s effects may be limited by many factors, including absence of delivered electrical charge due to body or clothing disconnect or intermittent connection; attacker’s muscle mass; or movement. Some of the factors that may influence the effectiveness of the stun device use in stopping or deterring an attacker include:
Pain Compliance Only. The use the stun function is painful, but generally does not cause incapacitation. The stun device may not be effective on persons with high tolerances for pain, persons on drugs or alcohol, or on emotionally disturbed persons or others who may not respond to pain due to a mind-body disconnect. Avoid using repeated applications on such individuals if the desired effect is not achieved.
May fail to operate. No weapon system, force option, or stun device is always operational or effective. If a stun device is inoperable or fails to function, consider redeploying, using other force options, or escaping the situation.
SAFETY INFORMATION: OTHER HAZARDS
Fire and Explosion Hazard. The use of a stun device can result in a fire or explosion when flammable gases, fumes, vapors, liquids, or materials are present. Use of a stun device in presence of fire or explosion hazard could result in death or serious injury. When possible, avoid using a stun device in known flammable hazard conditions. A stun device can ignite explosive or flammable clothing or materials, liquids, fumes, gases, or vapors (e.g., gasoline, vapor or gas found in sewer lines or methamphetamine labs, butane-type lighters, flammable hair gels or some self-defense sprays). Do not knowingly use a stun device in the presence of any explosive or flammable substance unless the situation justifies the increased risk.
SAFETY INFORMATION: GENERAL PRECAUTIONS
Unintentional Activation Hazard. Unintentional activation of a stun device could result in death or serious injury to the user or others. To reduce the risk of unintentional activation:
- Keep body parts away from front of the Product. Always keep your hands and body parts away from the front of the stun device. If the stun function discharges unexpectedly you could be injured.
- Avoid dropping. If a stun device is dropped or damaged it may unintentionally activate the stun function, become inoperable, or fail to function, making it unsafe for continued use. Avoid Water/Liquid Submersion or excess exposure. If a stun device is submerged or overly exposed to water or other liquid it may unintentionally activate the stun function, become inoperable, or fail to function, making it unsafe for continued use.
SAFETY INFORMATION: MAINTENANCE
Failure to maintain an ARC ANGEL tactical stun device as instructed may cause it to malfunction or fail to function optimally, increasing the risk of death or serious injury. Follow recommended maintenance procedures.
To reduce these risks:
- Safely perform spark (function) test. Testing helps verify that the device is functioning properly. See manufacturer’s instructions for further information on testing.
- Avoid using a damaged device. Repair or modification by an unauthorized person may cause the device to fire or malfunction, will void the warranty, and may put the user or other person at risk of death or serious injury.
- Use only ARC ANGEL approved components, batteries, and accessories. ARC ANGEL products have a sophisticated electronic system. For proper function, use only ARC ANGEL approved components, batteries, and accessories. Use of anything other than ARC ANGEL approved components, batteries, and accessories will void the warranty, may cause malfunction, and may put the user or other person at risk of death or serious injury.
- Avoid exposure to wet conditions. If the ARC ANGEL tactical stun device is drenched or immersed in water or other liquid, DO NOT use or attempt to use it until completing the procedure recommended by the manufacturer.
‘Protecting the Ones You Love®’, ARC LIGHT™, TSD-100™, TSD-200™, and TSD-300™ STUN CANE™ and BIG STICK™, Critter Stick and Honey Bee are trademarks of ARC ANGEL Industries®, Inc., and ARC ANGEL® is a registered trademark of Arc Angel Industries, Inc.,
© 2016 Arc Angel Industries, Inc. All rights reserved.